We have been collecting them to pass on to our own families, and they include:
-Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
-You can’t give a favour away
-People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones
-It's better to find a whole worm in your apple than half a worm!
-Better the devil you know than the one you don't
-I'm like a little pot, soon hot!
-Just because everybody's doing something, doesn't mean it's right
-Boys will be boys…
-We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it
-Don’t put all your eggs in one basket
-Out of sight, out of mind
-Necessity is the mother of invention
-Great minds think alike, and fools seldom differ
-Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
-If at first you don't succeed, try, try again
-One good turn deserves another
-Put on your thinking cap
-If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all
-Little pitchers have big ears
-Many hands make light work
-Never look a gift horse in the mouth
-You can’t lose what you never had
-Patience is a virtue
-No rest for the weary!
-Sticks and stones may break your bones, but names can never hurt you
-Nothing ventured, nothing gained
-Once bitten, twice shy
-Pride goeth before a fall
-Anyone can make a mistake but only a darn fool makes the same mistake twice
-Parting is such sweet sorrow
-The pen is mightier than the sword
-Some things are better left unsaid
-The early bird catches the worm
-The squeaky wheel gets the grease
-There is no fool like an old fool
-Two wrongs don't make a right
-Where there's a will, there's a way
-You can take a girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl
-A little learning is a dangerous thing
-You can take a horse to water but you can’t make him drink
-A friend in need is a friend indeed
-A fool and his money are soon parted
-It’s no use closing the barn door after the horse is out!
-A jack of all trades and master of none!
-I can get my girls to do anything they want to do!
-It's a poor household that can't support one princess!
-This soup tastes like the chicken walked through on stilts!
-He has a gait like a pair of bars.
-Any problem that can be solved with money, isn't a problem.
-There are 3 stages in life: Help me! I can help myself. And, can I help you?
-To make a garden grow, you have to give it away
-You need that like a toad needs side pockets
-He’s a big frog in a small pond
-Still waters run deep
-He’d be a tall man if he didn’t have so much turned under for feet
-Beware the anger of a silent man
-About to sneeze: You’ll kiss a fool!
-Never part in anger….
-You children are like the 5 fingers on my hand; I need you all to make my life complete
Always
Ann
I remembered another great line of Mom's:
ReplyDelete"I didnt' say a word, but I thought lots!"